Monday, July 9, 2012

They key to Purpose-what brings you joy?



            I’ve been thinking about the concept of Life Purpose.   Finding your purpose and passion is constantly lauded as the keys to finding happiness and success.  While this is absolutely true, it’s turned into another stressful goal we strive for and are frustrated when we can’t find.  The thing is, we’re trying too hard.    Your purpose is simply to become yourself.  As Danielle LaPorte explains in the Fire Starter Sessions “realizing what lights your fire and floats your boat…if it gives you true joy then that’s your life purpose.”  So take some time and look inward.

What do you love? 
When do you feel inspired?
What activities make you loose track of time?
What feels easy?
When do you feel like you’ve really made a difference?

            Don’t think too hard! Write down the first answer that comes to mind, even if it seems trivial and ridiculous.  Your intuitive self has a wisdom your logical mind lacks.  If you’re still struggling, try to remember what you enjoyed as a kid.
When I first started the coaching process, these questions were hard for me to answer.  I hadn’t thought about what lit my fire for years and some of my answers seemed unimportant and silly.   I found that connecting to my passions, however, led me right back to my authentic self and from here possibilities and purpose naturally emerged.
You may have more than one Life Purpose. Until recently I held this limiting belief that I had only one purpose and that was to be a mother.  Part of me thought that by becoming a Coach I was some how betraying my purpose as mother.  I now see myself as having a dual purpose as a mother AND as a coach to other mother’s looking for re-invention.  The two roles mutually inspire and support each other.  Both are essential to my happiness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment