Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Passing the Baton


      Last week my oldest daughter, Madison, graduated from eighth grade and then boarded a plane for a two-week trip to Europe with my parents.  I felt the sharp sting of the passing of time.  Gretchen Rubin, who wrote The Happiness Project, says that when raising kids “The days are long, but the years are short.”  For me this rings true.  It seems like minutes ago I had multiple children clamoring around my legs and now they’re on worldwide adventures. 
            
      I recently went for a run with Madison.  Last fall we were a pretty even match, but as we headed out this time she bounded ahead of me.  After berating myself for being out of shape and old, I took a minute and watched her.  She looked beautiful as she sprinted up that hill with power, grace and joy, her ponytail bouncing behind her.  There was no sign of the clumsy toddler she once was.  Pride and grief welled up inside as I realized she is ready to start leading her own way.

            By my nature, and as a mother I have always been the sprinter, barreling through life and leading the way.  This is what I’m used to.  I’m good at leading.  How will I be at observing?  Hanging back in the stands letting Madison run her race?  Allowing her to fall and figure out how to get back up?  I feel a certain loss of control, but I have faith that I’ve prepared her well and it is now my turn to sit back and observe.  This girl/woman, so dear to my heart, looks promising.  She’s strong and determined, yet kind beyond measure.  Her sense of self is unwavering and inspires me every day.  She knows the value of hard work, but more importantly the necessity of play.  I believe in her.  I am excited to see where she goes. I’m willing to bet on her.  I know it will be an amazing race.


2 comments:

  1. Simply beautiful, Anne. Funny how we expect our children to grow & change, & we celebrate their growth. Yet, we're often puzzled by the growth & change which must occur in their moms. Sounds like you're both going to be just fine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crying hard ... so beautiful. Pride and grief, yes, those are the central, tangled emotions of my mothering experience also. xox

    ReplyDelete